Compiled by Peter Coulman and Alan Gryfe
Originally appeared on Alan Gryfe’s Route History Site
September 28, 1928
Service ends on the MIMICO route of the Toronto & York Radial Railway. Service is suspended so that the line can be double tracked and Lake Shore Road widened and rebuilt.
October 8, 1928
Because of the suspension of service and construction on Lake Shore Road, a temporary bus service is established operating from Humber Loop (an earlier version of the loop located at Jane Street — now today’s South Kingsway) via Lake Shore, Queen Street (today’s Queensway) and Church Street (now Royal York Road) to Van Emery Street. Route is operated by the Toronto Transportation Commission under contract to the Township of Etobicoke and the Village of Mimico.
December 8, 1928
The newly double-tracked streetcar line on Lake Shore Road opens, with grand opening ceremonies including a parade and free rides between Humber Loop and Long Branch Loop (just west of Brown’s Line). Streetcars operate on a new LAKE SHORE route.
The next day, the QUEEN bus is renamed MIMICO.