Bay (1928-1929)

Compiled by Peter Coulman
Originally Posted by Alan Gryfe


December 15, 1928

Due to the construction of a railway viaduct south of Front Street closing the Bay Street bridge over the railway tracks, service begins on the new BAY bus route, running from the south end of the Bay Street bridge via south on Bay and west on Queen’s Quay to York Street. Service is provided Mondays through Saturdays from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., with no service on Sundays or holidays.

It is presumed that passengers had to make a “walking transfer” to other TTC services via a temporary path to the corner of Bay and Front streets.


December 19, 1928

Service extended to operate from the middle of the Bay Street bridge via south on Bay, west on Queen’s Quay, north on York and west on Fleet (now Lake Shore) to Spadina Avenue, returning via the reverse route. Service cut back to operate from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Mondays through Saturdays only.


March 7, 1929

Service extended west on Fleet Street from Spadina to Bathurst with no change in the hours of service.

March 31, 1929

Last day of service. Route revised and renamed FLEET the next day.

Bay Image Archive