Eglinton Carhouse and Garage

Eglinton_Garage.jpg

This map was created based on the official Eglinton Terminal Area and Trolley Coach Overhead Plan of TTC as of January 25, 1963. All bends, seen on this plan, repeat the real configuration of trolley bus wires at Eglinton Terminal.

Text by Godfrey Mallion, photos by Roman Fomin on June 19, 2012, unless otherwise noted.

See also

Eglinton opened as the T.T.C.’s first new streetcar carhouse on December 16, 1922, replacing the Toronto Railway Company’s Yorkville Carhouse. The carhouse was located on the west side of Yonge Street, just south of Eglinton Avenue.

The carhouse continued in service, hosting radial cars of the Toronto and York Radial Railway until abandonment in October, 1948, and Peter Witt motors and trailers until the opening of the Yonge Subway on March 30, 1954.

Eglinton also hosted trolley coaches from March 7, 1954 until December 28, 1991. The NORTOWN EAST, NORTOWN WEST, YONGE, and MOUNT PLEASANT trolley coach routes made Eglinton their home.

Facilities for diesel buses opened on April 1, 1938. In 1993 Eglinton Garage operated the 5 AVENUE ROAD, 11 BAYVIEW, 14 GLENCAIRN, 19 CHURCH, 28 DAVISVILLE, 34 EGLINTON EAST, 32 EGLINTON WEST, 33 FOREST HILL, 51 LESLIE, 54 LAWRENCE EAST, 56 LEASIDE, 74 MOUNT PLEASANT, 75 SHERBOURNE, 82 ROSEDALE, 88 SOUTH LEASIDE, 90 VAUGHAN, 97 YONGE, 100 FLEMINGDON PARK, 103 NORTOWN EAST, 121 FRONT-ESPLANADE, 124 SUNNYBROOK, 126 CHRISTIE, 136 PREMIUM EXPRESS VIA WYNFORD, 141 PREMIUM EXPRESS VIA MT. PLEASANT, 142 PREMIUM EXPRESS VIA AVENUE ROAD and 161 LAWRENCE-DONWAY routes.

Near the end of service the 160,000 sq. ft. facility hosted 162 buses. Facilities included 1 wash rack, 3 fueling stations, 7 40-ft. hoists, and 6 inspection pits.

Eglinton Garage operated GMC-T6H5307N, MCI 40102N, and NFLYER LF buses when it closed on March 30, 2002 to be replaced by the New Eglinton Garage on Comstock Road.



Eglinton Garage and Bus Terminal Image Archive


Sources

  • Boutilier, Robert, Bus Maintenance and Shops - 1999 Insider’s Guide
  • Kay, Jeffrey (ed.), Transfer Points, Feb/Mar 1993, Toronto.
  • TTC History Cards, City of Toronto Archives, Toronto.
  • The Coupler, TTC Employee Magazine, various issues