*Update — Sunday, February 2, 6:31 a.m.: A resident of the Distillery District reports that “there have been some issues with the stabilization of the bridge between Queen and King Sts and a number of delays due to complications with the wooden footings (how old are they?) and the work required for the flood protection. Infrastructure Ontario has developed a plan to fix these but work will be slow. Infrastructure Ontario is being very cautious about opening the bridge to vehicular traffic. As a result, the bridge will likely remain closed until the fall of 2014. This means the rerouting of the 504 King streetcar will continue until then.
*Update — Monday, September 30, 6:47 p.m.: Starting Wednesday, October 2, the TTC is detouring buses operating along the 303 Don Mills overnight route around the bridge repairs. Construction now continues until February 1, 2014.
The City of Toronto is closing the King Street East section of the bridge that carries Queen Street East across the Don River and Don Valley Parkway to streetcars, starting Monday, September 9.
While this part of the bridge is closed, City contractors will repair the bridge structures.
Construction continues until November.
Starting Tuesday, September 9 until November, westbound cars operate along their regular routes to Queen Street East and King Street East, then detour:
westward along Queen East; and then
southward along Parliament Street to King East,
resuming their regular routes westward along King.
Westbound cars skip their regular stops
- on King Street East at River, Sumach and Sackville Streets, across from Trinity Street and at Parliament Street.
Instead, westbound cars drop off or pick up passengers at temporary stops
- on Queen Street East at River, Sumach, Sackville and Parliament Streets and
- on Parliament Street at Richmond, Adelaide and King Streets East.
Eastbound cars reverse the detour routing.
Eastbound cars skip their regular stops
- on King Street East at Trinity, Sackville, Sumach and St. Lawrence Streets.
Instead, eastbound cars drop off or pick up passengers at temporary stops
- on Parliament Street at Richmond and Queen Streets East and
- on Queen Street East at Sackville, Sumach and River Streets.
The TTC will not be operating buses to replace the cars.